1. The Gruffalo Inject some fun into literacy with this two-week scheme of work based on Julia Donaldson's children's books about the monster.
2. Literacy skills Teach the virtues of good grammar, and show your students how to use connectives and apostrophes, with these literacy worksheets.
3. Watership Down Try these literacy activities based on classic children's novel Watership Down. Students guide Fiver around the field in search of lettuce for the warren - and boost their literacy skills while they are at it.
4. I can. How do you build the confidence of the most reluctant readers and writers? Help is at hand with these "I can ." literacy, language and communication statements.
5. Listen and read This interactive resource from TESiboard, Ella's School Trip Story Book, features lively illustrations and easy-to-follow text. Click the speaker icon to hear a narration of each page.
6. Think, say, write, read This writing prompt encourages children to improve their skills by thinking about what they want to write before they begin.
7. Speed reading A simple test for reading speed that can be used to spark a discussion about literacy and how to change your reading method for different purposes.
8. Literacy through film Celebrate the power of storytelling through film with TES Connect partner FILMCLUB UK's selection of guides to children's classics, including The NeverEnding Story and Eleanor's Secret.
9. Roll the dice Print out these story cubes for an unpredictable literacy lesson. Each side of the cube has a different picture, such as a spooky castle or a treasure map. Students roll the dice to decide where their story should go next.
10. On the Ning Nang Nong Bring poetry alive with an animated PowerPoint of Spike Milligan's nonsense poem On the Ning Nang Nong.
The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.
Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.