Magnet craze

2nd June 2000 at 01:00
A NINE-YEAR-OLD girl has received emergency treatment at Sheffield children's hospital after swallowing 12 industrial-strength magnets.

She was following a fashio sweeping Sheffield where girls use magnets to give the impression of body-piercings. A hospital spokesperson said the craze had become "life-threatening".

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today