Mobile pension

3rd June 2005 at 01:00
Q: I am on a short-term contract at the moment and it's 99 per cent likely that I will be at another school in September, most probably working for a different local education authority. I have opted for a teacher's pension, but if you change local education authorities, or even jobs, is your teacher's pension kept and moved to that other job? How does it all work?

A: Rest assured, your pension is with the Teacher's Scheme and that has validity across the maintained sector. So, if you move LEA, your pension contributions move with you and you stay in the same scheme. This also applies if you move to some independent schools. However, local authority staff have different pension arrangements, and this will include all staff not employed as a "teacher" in a school.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now