What the lesson is about
Engage children in topical language learning with La Jolie Ronde's newly- launched series of French and Spanish theme days.
What is it?
A full pack of school resources to help you plan a day of fun and learning centred on a particular theme, the first of which is "The Olympics". Each theme day starts with an assembly, before pupils work through a range of supported activities to develop their language skills. Then they all come together in a celebratory assembly to discuss their experience and show off the language they have learnt. The packs include:
- a collection of easy-to-use, play-based curriculum-linked activities;
- activities split by age: 5-7, 7-9 and 9-11;
- a CD of coloured and black-and-white images, vocabulary lists, flashcard templates, games and activities, transcripts and translations of songs and texts and real-life video clips;
- an audio CD of songs and sounds recorded by native speakers for correct accent and intonation;
- teachers' notes with CD transcripts.
What will pupils do?
On the Olympics theme day, pupils learn about the history of the games, develop a mini Olympics event, create passes, certificates and flashcards and can take part in three board games to revise learning.
The resource packs can be downloaded from www.language-resources.co.uk
Rhawkes shares a Spanish starter - a springboard for starting Olympic sports vocabulary. Or use the Olympics to practise introductions and sports with LB18's French match-up activity. Help pupils develop French sentences and revise vocabulary groups with the traditional Taboo (Tabou) game.