Must do her sums

3rd February 2006 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

Is the independent sector as strict as state schools when it comes to having GCSE grade "C" in maths? My fiancee has six years' experience teaching English and media in Further Education. She'd like to work in a secondary school but has to get GCSE maths. Do independent schools fall under the same rules as state schools, or do they have more freedom?

You may be confusing two different issues. To train as a teacher and gain qualified teacher status that is recognised in the maintained school sector you need the basic "C"grades at GCSE. Private schools are free to employ whoever they wish regardless of whether or not they have GCSE grades. Most employ qualified teachers who have the basic standards of English and maths. Your fiancee would find wider career opportunities with qualified teacher status than without, so obtaining the basic mathematics qualification would seem a sensible idea.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now