In My Own Time
Film and Theatre
- Being a romantic, I have a DVD of Casablanca and thought Ingrid Bergman an astonishing actress. I look out for biographical and political films. I love theatre and helped pay my way through university by appearing as Robert Burns in an Ayrshire hotel.
- My car radio is set to Classic FM, but I enjoy a wide range, from folk to opera. I met my wife in a production of Carousel at the Gaiety Theatre in Ayr. One of my friends was the late Hamish Henderson, who wrote my all-time favourite song, Freedom Come All Ye. I sang it with him more than once.
- I have just finished reading Bob Purdie's book on Hugh MacDiarmid. I have a keen interest in poetry, biography and politics. I have spent time in the company of poets, including Chris Grieve (MacDiarmid), Hamish Henderson, Norman MacCaig and Sorley MacLean. I successfully suggested a quote from Norman's poem A Man in Assynt, which was carved on the wall of the Scottish Parliament in celebration of the 10th anniversary of devolution.
- I love African wildlife films and have worked on 17 African assignments. I have explored the oldest desert in the world (the Namib), and watched the wildlife in Etosha - two African theatres that feature in many a documentary. I watch lots of sport, news and Strictly Come Dancing.
- I have an indoor swimming pool, a gym and a snooker room. Arriving home after a stressful day, I can enjoy chilling out by inflicting as much pain as possible on my body. It's the remnants of a Calvinist culture I can't completely shake off.