Overpaid? Be careful

10th December 2004 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

I have recently started work as a supply teacher. Should I keep a record of the work that I do?

Unless you are on a full or part-time contract for so many sessions per week, you should always keep detailed records in case of disputes. Most supply agencies will expect you to do this, even if they don't actually provide the forms. Local authorities normally expect you to photocopy claim forms as your record. You should always check your pay slips to determine that you agree with the amount you are being paid. In the rare event of over-payment, don't look on it as a lottery win and go on a spending spree; it is quite likely that you will be asked to pay the money back eventually.

If this does happen, do ensure that you are provided with enough information to check that the new amount is actually correct.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar, Buyagift.com, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today