Consultation launched over rural schools closure process.
- The law could be changed to introduce a formal presumption against closure for rural schools. The Scottish government has launched a consultation on the process that has to be carried out when a school is shut. Previous legislation was used to try to create a presumption against closure, but this was not expressly set out in the Schools (Consultation) (Scotland) Act 2010.
Teacher who had sex with pupil, 17, spared jail
- A teacher who lost her job and her marriage after she admitted to having sex with a teenage pupil in her steamed-up car was spared a jail sentence and given a six-month community payback order. Eppie Sprung Dawson, 27, an English teacher at St Joseph's College, Dumfries, was placed under social work supervision and is also undergoing counselling.
Teacher back home after sparking major search
Aberdeen Evening Express
- A missing teacher has returned home safe after his disappearance sparked a police manhunt. A major operation was launched after Paul McIntyre, 48, a religious and moral education teacher at Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen, went missing. About a dozen officers carried out searches; specialist search officers and dog handlers assisted.
Teachers to strike
- Teachers are to stage a one-day national walkout in the autumn in a continuing row over pay, pensions and workload, it was announced. England and Wales will be affected by regional strikes in the first and third weeks of October, the NASUWT and the National Union of Teachers said. This will be followed by a national strike later in the term.
School meal chicken flies too far, the Greens say
- Some of Scotland's councils are flying chicken nuggets from Thailand for school lunches, the Scottish Greens have claimed. The party said a Freedom of Information request to local authorities showed that one council - Stirling - served chicken that was shown to have come from Scotland. But the Greens said that five others - Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Perth and Kinross - all sourced a chicken product for their school meals from Thailand.