Teacher stress toll revealed
- More than one-fifth of sick days taken by Scottish teachers last year were due to stress-related illness, new figures have revealed. Health experts and union leaders have blamed this figure on the pressures that teachers are being put under as they implement the new Curriculum for Excellence.
Thousands contact council in blog row
- Almost 4,000 people contacted a council after it banned a schoolgirl from taking pictures for a blog documenting the state of her school dinners. A Freedom of Information request revealed that Argyll and Bute Council received 3,894 comments. It was flooded with emails, letters and phone calls.
Take it as read: e-books outsell real thing
- More readers are now buying e-books than paper versions in the UK, according to the world's largest online retailer. Amazon has revealed it now sells 114 e-books for use on its Kindle device for every 100 printed books, both paperback and hardback. The online retail giant began selling e-books two years ago.
Nine-year-old busker earning pound;560 a day
- Pint-sized busker Kris McDowall (pictured right) is taking the streets of Glasgow by storm - and he's only nine years old. Little Kris, from Saltcoats, Ayrshire, is raking in up to pound;560 a day playing tunes by Guns N' Roses, Justin Bieber, Eric Clapton and Tom Petty to shoppers. And the talented singer is planning to release his debut single this week.
Teacher sues internet bigot over insults
- Police are investigating an anti-gay hate campaign being waged on the internet by a Scots antique dealer. And in a case that could make legal history in Scotland, a defamation action is being raised against David Shuttleton by teacher Jaye Richards Hill, who has fallen foul of his rants. He referred to lesbian Jaye, 48, as a "paedophile" purely because she advocates equal rights for gay couples.