Teachers thwarted by new curriculum, claims author
- Children's author Julia Donaldson has blamed bureaucratic jargon in Scotland's new school curriculum for making teaching difficult. The children's laureate and woman behind the Gruffalo books said the laudable aims of the Curriculum for Excellence sometimes got in the way of good teaching. Donaldson told The Herald teachers should be "freer to get on with it".
Fury over student "sugar daddy" site
- A sleazy website has been slammed for luring hard-up students into having sex with wealthy "sugar daddies". The SeekingArrangement site boasts that hundreds of undergraduates in Scotland have joined in a bid to get funding from older fellas. And it claims 80 per cent of the relationships it helped set up involved sex. The site said 153 Glasgow Caledonian University students and 147 from posh St Andrews signed up.
Soaring numbers of young children have diet-linked diabetes
The Daily Mail
- Record numbers of Scots children are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes - including some as young as four years old. The obesity crisis in Scotland's schools has been blamed for soaring rates of the disease, which was previously seen almost exclusively in the middle-aged and elderly.
I might send my son to private school - Clegg
- Nick Clegg has suggested he and his wife may send their eldest son to a private school when he moves on to secondary education later this year. Speaking on his weekly phone-in show on LBC radio yesterday, the deputy prime minister said he and his wife, Miriam, had to decide on Antonio's next school as he is due to leave his state primary in Putney, South London, this summer.
Criminal check errors putting children at risk
The Daily Mail
- More than 400 errors have been made in criminal records checks in three years. Disclosure Scotland checks the background of those who want to work with children. But it admitted it had received 855 complaints about information on certificates since 2009. More than half - 435 - were upheld. More than a fifth of the upheld complaints - 92 - related to mistakes over identity.