Refresher courses

9th July 2004 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

I'm a qualified English teacher in my 40s. I have worked for the past 13 years overseas, following my husband's job. I am now in a large city with several international schools where we are likely to stay for the next few years, but I can only find work as a classroom aide. Are there any refresher courses?

Although there are "returner" courses run by the Teacher Training Agency in England, I don't know of any in Europe. You could enrol on a distance-learning course run by a university, such as the Open University, that will allow you to update your knowledge of a particular area of teaching. Although there are summer school requirements, most of the course can be done from overseas. Alternatively, look at what organisations serving the international schools' market have to offer by way of professional development. Try the following link: www.ecis.orgcoursesdistanceshort_and_degree.htm.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now