Refresher courses

9th July 2004 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

I'm a qualified English teacher in my 40s. I have worked for the past 13 years overseas, following my husband's job. I am now in a large city with several international schools where we are likely to stay for the next few years, but I can only find work as a classroom aide. Are there any refresher courses?

Although there are "returner" courses run by the Teacher Training Agency in England, I don't know of any in Europe. You could enrol on a distance-learning course run by a university, such as the Open University, that will allow you to update your knowledge of a particular area of teaching. Although there are summer school requirements, most of the course can be done from overseas. Alternatively, look at what organisations serving the international schools' market have to offer by way of professional development. Try the following link: www.ecis.orgcoursesdistanceshort_and_degree.htm.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today