* Scotland: www.scotland.gov.ukeducationteaching scotexec.html has all the details about training in Scotland. Or order the brochure: 0845 345 4745.
* Fast track (www.fasttrackteaching.gov.uk).
* Applications: www.gttr.ac.uk has information about PGCE courses, and profiles of providers. Apply online. The GTTR Guide for Applicants is a useful reference guide to postgraduate courses. Tel: 01242 544788.
www.ucas.ac.uk has details of undergraduate courses and application procedures. Tel: 01242 227 788.
Other useful sites
* www.teachernet.gov.ukteachersloans has full details on the RTL scheme.
* www.dfes.gov.ukgo4itnow has full details on golden hellos, or, for Wales, www.learning.wales.gov.uk.
* www.gtce.org.ukgtcinfoitthome. asp has policy details, guidelines and standards for ITT.
* www.gtcs.org.uk has the same info for Scotland. Click on "initial teacher education".
* In the TES First Appointments supplement on January 10 this year, reviewer Mike Sullivan selected five key titles to prepare students for their early days in teaching. They are:
* Managing Behaviour in the Primary School (third edition), by Jim Docking; revised and updated by Michelle MacGrath (David Fulton, pound;16).
* Returning to Teach in Primary Schools, by Peter Eagling, Sylvia Turner, Charly Ryan and Doug Tanner (Learning Matters, pound;10). Tel: 01392 215 560.
* Effective Pupil Grouping in the Primary School: a practical guide, by Susan Hallam, Judith Ireson and Jane Davies (David Fulton, pound;14).
* PGCE Professional Workbook: professional issues in primary practice, by Emma Asprey, Cathy Hamilton and Susan Haywood (Learning Matters, pound;15).
* Principles of Primary Education (second edition), by Pat Hughes (David Fulton, pound;15).
* Numeracy For Teaching, by Derek Haylock (Paul Chapman, pound;12.99).
Useful for any teacher trainee worried about the numeracy test.
* An Introduction to Education Studies, edited by Steve Bartlett, Diana Burton and Nick Peim (Paul Chapman, pound;18.99).