* Teacher Training Agency (TTA) (www.canteach.gov.uk). Information on all routes, performance profiles, course content, GTP guidelines, DRBs in your area, financial incentives, promotional events, taster courses for England and Wales. For enquiry forms, tel: 0845 6000 991 (for English speakers); 0845 6000 992 (for Welsh speakers). Advice line: 0845 6000 993.
* Scotland: www.scotland.gov.ukeducationteaching scotexec.html has all the details about training in Scotland. Or order the brochure: 0845 345 4745.
* Fast track (www.fasttrackteaching.gov.uk).
* Applications: www.gttr.ac.uk has information about PGCE courses, and profiles of providers. Apply online. The GTTR Guide for Applicants is a useful reference guide to postgraduate courses. Tel: 01242 544788.
www.ucas.ac.uk has details of undergraduate courses and application procedures. Tel: 01242 227 788.
Other useful sites
* www.teachernet.gov.ukteachersloans has full details on the RTL scheme.
* www.dfes.gov.ukgo4itnow has full details on golden hellos, or, for Wales, www.learning.wales.gov.uk.
* www.gtce.org.ukgtcinfoitthome. asp has policy details, guidelines and standards for ITT.
* www.gtcs.org.uk has the same info for Scotland. Click on "initial teacher education".
* In the TES First Appointments supplement on January 10 this year, reviewer Mike Sullivan selected five key titles to prepare students for their early days in teaching. They are:
* Managing Behaviour in the Primary School (third edition), by Jim Docking; revised and updated by Michelle MacGrath (David Fulton, pound;16).
* Returning to Teach in Primary Schools, by Peter Eagling, Sylvia Turner, Charly Ryan and Doug Tanner (Learning Matters, pound;10). Tel: 01392 215 560.
* Effective Pupil Grouping in the Primary School: a practical guide, by Susan Hallam, Judith Ireson and Jane Davies (David Fulton, pound;14).
* PGCE Professional Workbook: professional issues in primary practice, by Emma Asprey, Cathy Hamilton and Susan Haywood (Learning Matters, pound;15).
* Principles of Primary Education (second edition), by Pat Hughes (David Fulton, pound;15).
* Numeracy For Teaching, by Derek Haylock (Paul Chapman, pound;12.99).
Useful for any teacher trainee worried about the numeracy test.
* An Introduction to Education Studies, edited by Steve Bartlett, Diana Burton and Nick Peim (Paul Chapman, pound;18.99).