* www.surestart.gov.uk. Comprehensive website plus links provided by the national Sure Start unit .
* National evaluation of Sure Start run by a group led by Professor Edward Melhuish at the institute for the study of children, families and social issues, part of Birkbeck college, London. All findings available on www.ness.bbk.ac.uk.
* A 2020 vision for early years, by Vidhya Alakeson of the Social Market Foundation think tank. The possible future of early years provision in the UK. Downloadable from www.smf.co.uk.
* Daycare Trust (www.daycaretrust.org.uk). The national childcare campaigners.
* Capacity: new children's services think tank with Norman Glass and Margaret Lochrie as two of the directors. Website, www.capacity.uk.net, under construction.
* Literacy Trust (www.literacytrust.org.uk). Background and news reports regarding all Labour's early years initiatives.
* Eppe (www.ioe.ac.uk). Long-term major research run from London's institute of education studying the effects of early childcare and education and identifying good practice.
* Preschool Learning Alliance (www.pre-school.org.uk). Charity that represents and supports 15,000 community pre-schools in England. Also involved in Sure Start.
* Nursery World (www.nursery-world.com). Weekly magazine, sister publication to The TES. News, features and research on childcare and nurseries.
* Head Start (www.ILHeadStart.org). History of and insights into the United States' Head Start programme, a model for Sure Start.