The school is co-educational and all pupils are boarders.
The idea of a school to commemorate Scottish soldiers who died in the South African wars was first mooted at the turn of the 20th century.
The school was opened in 1908 by King Edward VII after every serviceman in Scotland donated a day's pay to a fundraising appeal..
A defining characteristic is the preservation of ceremonial traditions, such as its colourful annual parades.
Although pupils often go into the military services, an increasing number moves on to higher and further education.