Did you know?
* Experts disagree on the optimum time for schooling. Some say children learn best in the mornings. Others argue that brain activity peaks in the afternoon
* At Burnage high school in Manchester, the school day has been restructured so lessons finish at lunchtime. The incidence of bad behaviour has fallen by half
* At Queen's Park community school in the London borough of Brent, lunch is served at 11.10am
* The DfES recommends schools provide between 21 and 24 hours' teaching a week. But they are free to organise the day as they wish
* In Germany, the school day often ends at 1pm, while in France and Spain lessons can continue until 4.30pm