(Photograph) - The perfectly preserved fourth-form room at Harrow School provides a remarkable insight into 17th-century education. The original Harrow schoolroom, it was built in 1615 and its furnishings - an usher's chair (left) and oak benches where boys sat balancing slates on their knees - date back to the 1660s.
Some of its most illustrious pupils, including Byron and Sheridan, carved their names into the panelling, while headmasters left their own mark on the boys at the birching stool. The room was last used for lessons in the 1920s, but it remains what it has always been - the heart of Harrow School.
Photographs by Neil Turner