(Photograph) - A week in the life of modern languages student teacher Laeticia Decup, at St Martin's School, Brentwood, Esses.
As a newly qualified French teacher, Laetitia Decip counts herself lucky. She thoroughly enjoyed her PGCE course at Anglia Polytechnic University, which included a special 24 week placement with Years 7 to 13 at St martin's School, Brentwood, and has just got her first job.
Having completed a degree in English in France, Laetitia strted to work at St Martin's as a teaching assistant. When she left to start her PGCE, they asked her to come back on her placement. "I thingk it was exciting for the kids to have someone who was a native speaker. They thought I lived in France and asked me whether I took the ferry every day."
Before starting work at Thurstable secondary school in Tiptree, Essex, Laetitia is taking a holiday in her hometown of Beziers, near Montpellier, and with friends in Spain. "I've always wanted to be a French teacher in English. It allows me to give students a bit of my culture, something that is a part of myself."
SNAPS BY JANE BATLEY .
* Good night: a teacher's work is never done .
* Setting targets for the week with Mark Shuttleworth, y9.
* In the library researching the next teaching assignment.
* Signing homework diaries with her Year 9 tutor group.
* Ecoutez! Frencxh lesson with Year 8.
* Lunchtime: Laetitia gets in the queue.
* Socializing with fellow PGGCE students from APU.
* Discussions with Miranda, her course administrator.