Tax relief

19th March 2004 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

I live in Scotland, commuting every week during the school year to teach at a sixth form college in London. Does the Inland Revenue make any provision for such circumstances, such as allowances for travel and accommodation expenses?

A: Generally, the Revenue does not allow employees to claim for travel between home and place of work. It does not matter what method of travel you use.

If you are not required to live-in as a part of the employment, then accommodation costs do not normally attract any relief either. You will have to continue paying the costs of commuting until you can find a post nearer home or afford a property near where you work. The good news is that, should you move, reasonablerelocation expenses are usually tax deductible. However, this only applies when you start a new job and your employer pays an extra allowance to help you move.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now