Tax relief

28th May 2004 at 01:00
As part of my new job I have been given a laptop, and the school pays for private medical insurance. I've been told I have to declare these to the taxman as benefits in kind. Is this correct?

This is complicated. The health insurance is a taxable benefit and your employer will have told the taxman that you are receiving it. You have to inform them too. If you only use the laptop at school for work, then it is not any different to any school computer. If you take it home and use it for anything other than school work, it is a benefit in kind. Ask your professional association whether there are extra statutory concessions from the taxman that cover this. Check insurance - if you take it home and it was lost or stolen, you might have to replace it.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now