The teachers' manifesto 2001
* More money for school buildings. To be used as heads see fit, not tied to "gimmicks" such as removing outside loos.
* Reform of league tables to include value-added performance measures.
* Smaller class sizes for older pupils. A target of reducin class sizes to 30 or under for all primary pupils would be a good start, but growing secondary classes should also be tackled.
* Reform of the inspection system - inspections should provide support and advice as well as scrutiny.
* A period of stability to allow teachers to get to grips with the initiatives already introduced. Teachers should be given back their professional freedom.