Is there enough supply out there?

14th March 2008 at 00:00
Posted by sbf

I am coming towards the end of my probation year and am slowly realising I will probably not get a job, so I have two options: 1, go on a supply list; 2, go back to my previous career. The only way I can opt for 1 is if there's enough work to get a decent wage, circa pound;20K. Can I survive on the supply list?

Posted by vforvendetta

It will be tough as the situation is not great. You can be lucky with your subject, but supply is thin on the ground until after the new year, then it falls away after Easter when timetables are freed up due to exam leave.

Don't expect to get long-term work and expect to do general supply. There are loads of recent retired teachers looking for, and getting, the supply work, as well as ex-probationers in their droves. If you are prepared to supplement supply income with other work during holidays, you may reach your target, but I doubt you will make pound;20K doing supply alone.

Posted by chinchilla

I really don't think you would make anything close to pound;20K on supply alone.

Posted by user1234

Whereabouts are you? Primary or secondary? Are you prepared to travel, or try special schools, rough schools, prisons, etc? If so, you'll get supply work - probably under pound;20K but more than enough to get by - and it should lead you into a permanent post.

Posted by sbf

I'm on the south side of Glasgow, will travel to Glasgow, East Ren, SouthNorth Lan, East Ayrshire, Renfrewshire. I would rather keep it to secondary, either my subject or general supply.

pound;20K is the bare min I can survive on. This year I have been slowly accumulating debt. It's looking doubtful that I will be able to stay in teaching. End of the day, I've got to pay the bills.

Posted by user1234

Glasgow, East Ren - very little work. If you could drive for 45 mins, you could be in South Ayrshire, Falkirk, or in an hour Stirling and Clackmannanshire. (I registered with 13 councils.) Then you'll be in work from Sept-May.

There is a lot of marking work available if you go to the English exam boards, and together you should be able to get pound;20K.

Supply work really is the best route into a permanent post.

www.tes.co.ukcommunity, click on TES Scotland, then Opinion.

Comments