Road rage in Edinburgh
- Scotland's largest teaching union has condemned Edinburgh City Council plans to spend a spare pound;2 million "filling in potholes" instead of reversing education cutbacks. Members of the Edinburgh local association of the EIS point out that the council blamed its new pound;2.4m programme of cuts to senior teaching staff in secondaries on "severe financial constraints" - yet now it has suddenly "found" almost the same amount of cash for the city's roads.
Chewing over child health
- Children across Scotland have better teeth, thanks to a pound;15m nationwide health education programme. The nursery, school and practice Childsmile scheme is now being delivered across Scotland. The dental programme emphasises the importance of tooth brushing and helps parents give their children a healthy diet from the earliest age. Public health minister Michael Matheson was due to visit Knightswood Dental Practice in Glasgow this week to see it in action.
Glasgow bids for Youth Olympics
- Glasgow has submitted a bid to the British Olympic Association to be a host city for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games. Minister for Commonwealth Games and sport Shona Robison said it was an "exciting prospect" for both Glasgow and Scotland, which would provide young athletes with the opportunity to compete "at the top of their field" and inspire youngsters across the country to get active.
SQA publishes Nationals notes
- The Scottish Qualifications Authority has published draft course and unit support notes for National 4 and National 5. The notes, for teachers and lecturers, are not mandatory but provide advice on the new courses. Other newly-published SQA guidance deals with course assessment specifications for Higher, new "skills for learning, life and work" awards, and equality. Feedback received by the SQA between July and November 2011 is also available.
Entries open for Scottish awards
- Organisers of the Scottish Education Awards are calling for entries before the closing date of 2 March. The awards' website has tips on the nomination process and an example of a previous entry form. This year's ceremony will be held in Glasgow on 12 June.