What am I worth?

3rd February 2006 at 00:00
Your job and career questions answered

I have a certificate in education from the University of Zimbabwe, where I taught for 10 years. I found it hard to find a teaching job in the UK without a degree. I decided to do a BA degree with qualified teacher status in the UK. Will my overseas experience count in determining my pay when l complete my training?

As a newly qualified teacher, you would normally start at the bottom of the main pay scale. However, if you have been paid more as an unqualified teacher, expect to have that service recognised in your pay. Whether your service in Zimbabwe is recognised will be at the school's discretion. Much may depend on your skills. As you have found it difficult to find work, you may find that you are offered the basic starting pay when you qualify.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email susan.young@tes.co.uk

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now