What the law says on...homework;School Management
The following points are offered as good practice for headteachers planning a policy statement on homework:
* Devised in consultation with pupils, teachers and parents.
* Takes account of the age, ability and maturity of the pupils, and home and school environments.
* Explains purpose of homework.
* Provides clear guidance to staff on setting and marking.
* Encourages imaginative approaches to homework.
* Encourages informed parental involvement.
* Integrates with wider study support strategies, including homework clubs and summer schools.
Funding for out-of-school hours learning activities. The New Opportunities Fund has identified study supportout- of-hours learning activities as one of its first initiatives and money is being given to encourage study support schemes. Support for such schemes is also provided by the Prince's Trust.
Taken from Green's 'Scottish Education Manual', section 1:3.15, published February 1999, pound;140