Roger Butterfield's tale (far right) is a cautionary one for those trying to recruit and hang on to teachers. We examine their tactics and the state of the staffing crisis
FULL-TIME teachers have to be available for work for 195 days in a school year and are required to teach for 190 days.
Teachers' Pay and Conditions document states that no one will be required to provide cover:
* after the teacher who is absent, or not available, has been so for three or more consecutive working days; or
* where the factthat the teacher would be absent, or otherwise not available, for more than three consecutive working days was known ... for two or more working days before the absence commenced.
The exceptions to this are:
* where the teacher is a supply teacher;
* the authority or governing body has exhausted all reasonable means of getting a supply teacher to provide cover without success; or
* the teacher is a full-time teacher but has been assigned by the head to teach or carry out other specified duties.