Where to get the best training

13th May 2005 at 01:00
* Your article about the poor quality of most privately-run career professional developlment courses is worrying.

Teachers should have access to properly accredited, fully funded, relevant, academically robust CPD. The best people to provide this are higher-education-based teacher educators. Their work, unlike private operators', is subject to effective quality assurance.

Moreover, these institutions do not run courses for profit. The effectiveness of such courses has been acknowledged by, amongst others, Ofsted.

James Rogers Executive director Universities Council for the Education of Teachers London WC1

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now