Working abroad. Anybody done it?

30th May 2008 at 01:00
Posted by homegirl - My authority has changed its policy about giving permanent contracts after one to two years, so I'd like to work abroad
Posted by homegirl

My authority has changed its policy about giving permanent contracts after one to two years, so I'd like to work abroad. I wanted to hear others' experiences of doing this.

Posted by eliza2005

Look or post on the teaching overseas site - lots of advice, the most important being to research the country and school.

Posted by pixie8

I teach in America. I have taught in England, and the curricula are very different, but if you have good classroom management, and are willing to be flexible, teaching abroad can be a great experience.

Posted by pangar

I worked in Africa for a development agency. The work was not rewarding and you need to be fit and self-motivated. To make friends and experience a different way of life is priceless. Teaching English as a foreign language has a lot to recommend it, especially if you like travelling or learning languages. If I was fitter and younger, I'd go to China.

Posted by mossop

I worked in Germany for a year and thoroughly recommend it. I got the job through the British Council and worked in a Hauptschule as an English teacher. Was great fun, though the pay wasn't great.

Posted by prettypetals

I work as a primary teacher in Russia. I love it. I am off to Thailand to start a job in August. Make sure you use your teaching certificate to its full advantage and don't end up on a TEFL wage, it is peanuts. It's the best thing I have done and it has worked wonders for my career prospects.

Posted by scooter88

I taught English for two-and-a-half years in Japan and loved it. Am about to do my PGDE primary. My plans after graduating and doing probation year are to go abroad again. I am already looking at the international jobs on this site, to see what's about.

Posted by trish82

I'm working in Cairo in a school that had an excellent reputation, but I have never worked in such a terrible environment! Check the school out on the overseas forum. If we complain, we run the risk of being sacked. Do your research because it could leave you wondering if things can get worse!

To follow this and other hot topics: www.tes.co.ukcommunity, click on TES Scotland, then opinion.

Comments