The mill was built in 1807 and members of the archaeology group say the restoration is sensitive, changing nothing, maintaining the original standards and appearance. Local timber was used in its weather-boarded construction, and the Mill has a hipped, tiled roof. Schools come from as far as London to get a picture of a very small, local mill in the context of a village, often combining a visit to the mill with one to nearby Cogges Farm.
Groups of no fewer than eight are invited to give four weeks' notice of a visit. There is no charge but donations are welcome. Printed information sheets are available.
Charney Bassett Mill, near Faringdon, Oxfordshire. Contact Philip Coldwell: 01235 868677; Haydn Francis: 763752 or Bruce Hedge: 01235 766752