This editable 22-question guided reading worksheet promotes active reading strategies, facilitating deeper understanding of the classic Grimms’ fairy tale titled “Donkey Cabbages.” This obscure, highly unusual narrative is an entertaining addition to any short story and/or literary elements unit. By completing this activity, students will demonstrate general plot recall, apply knowledge of literary devices to the text (with an emphasis on foreshadowing, dramatic irony, and situational irony), and actively engage with the text via making annotations. Though labeled a guided reading handout, this resource may also serve as an assessment tool that holds students accountable for assigned independent reading. Included in this zip file are the following:
- A PDF version of the guided reading worksheet.
- A Word document version of the guided reading worksheet.
- A detailed answer key.
- A copy of “Donkey Cabbages” by the Brothers Grimm.
Questions pertain to the following:
- Demonstrating grasp of plot (a desperate request; a gift in exchange for kindness; the acquisition of gold; the huntsman’s epiphany; a witch’s conspiracy against the huntsman; the huntsman’s method of escape from Garnet Mountain; the effect of eating “bad” cabbages; the huntsman’s revenge; the huntsman’s being “moved to pity”; the story’s resolution).
- Analyzing character (students will examine an excerpt to determine what motivates a character to say something).
- Discerning meaning from unfamiliar words/phrases (“at a pinch”; “now you shall receive the wages of your treachery”;
- Applying knowledge of literary devices (students will identify textual examples of foreshadowing, dramatic irony, and situational irony)