For KS2, KS3 or KS4 maths teachers, this set of worksheets completely develops the concept of adding and subtracting fractions. There are 5 worksheets, broadly covering the following aspects of the concept:
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions with the same denominators
- Understanding why fractions with different denominators cannot be added or subtracted without exchanging, and identifying when this is and isn’t required.
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions where one denominator is a multiple of the other.
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions where the denominators do not share a common factor.
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions where the denominators do share a common factor.
These can be used one after the other over a series of lessons exploring the concept, or could be spaced across several years, with enough similarity in the structure that pupils should have memories of working on similar tasks triggered.