About this unit:
This is a ten-lesson unit of English work based on the reading and writing of a non-chronological report. It is intended for Upper Key Stage 2. This unit follows the 2014 National Curriculum objectives which are outlined below. The English objectives covered by this unit are highlighted in yellow.
The ten lessons in this unit allow children to explore, discuss and understand a non-chronological report. During the first week children will explore a non-chronological report based on the blue penguin which is an amazing animal living in New Zealand! Through guided and shared activities children will write their own version of this text ensuring they have included the correct language and organisational features. In the second week, children will carry out their own research into a New Zealand animal of their own choice. Children will then apply what they have learned in the first week and plan, write and edit a non-chronological report based on the New Zealand animal which they have chosen and then they will write a non-chronological report independently.
What is included?
• A sheet with the National Curriculum English objectives for Y5/6 which are highlighted to help track and assess the progress of the class; to track coverage of the English curriculum and to show what objectives the unit covers.
• NEW Printable child-friendly learning objectives for children’s books.
• Non-chronological report planning for 10 days including possible science cross-curricular links.
• NEW Now includes a PowerPoint containing the lesson structure and learning activities for all 10 lessons of the unit which can be presented to the children. The PowerPoint design and content can be adjusted to suit the needs of a class.
• A non-chronological report about the blue penguin which includes details about the blue penguin’s appearance, habitat, diet, adaptions, social behaviour and life cycle.
• A non-chronological report about the blue penguin that has been simplified for lower-achieving children.
• A glossary for the non-chronological report about the blue penguin.
• Boxing-up Plan for the non-chronological report about the blue penguin (differentiated on two levels but writing frame included for lower-achieving children).
• Success Criteria for non-chronological reports (differentiated on three levels).
• Non-chronological report about the blue penguin writing frame for lower-achieving children.
• Boxing-up Plan for research into own New Zealand animal (differentiated on three levels).
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.