- I have created these set of resources for the GCSE 9-1 Edexcel Historic Environment for the British sector of the Western Front, 1914-1918.
- The central question throughout these seven lessons is to find out how medicine developed throughout the conflict of World War 1. The lessons are closely linked together and address all the content required for this unit.
- Pupils will learn about the injuries, treatment and life in the trenches for the soldiers.
Key ideas include:
- The historical context of medicine in the early twentieth century and the move to aseptic surgery.
- The trench system and its construction and organisation.
- The context of the British sector including Northern France and Flanders.
- The problems with communications and infrastructure due to the nature of the terrain.
- The nature of wounds received and the conditions requiring medical treatment.
- The work of organisations such as RAMC and FANY.
- The significance of the Western Front for experiments in surgery and new techniques used.
The lessons are broken down into the following:
- L1: Introduction and the trench system
- L2: Flanders and Northern France
- L3: Move to aseptic surgery (free lesson)
- L4: Deadly weapons and injuries
- L5: Trench warfare and the problems of transport
- L6: Helping and treating the wounded
- L7: GCSE exam question practise
- Each lesson comes with suggested teaching and learning strategies and are linked to the latest historical interpretations and ideas used by current history teachers on twitter.
- The lessons are fully adaptable in Powerpoint and can be changed to suit. I have included a free lesson to give an idea of what is being offered.
- Please review the resource and receive a free World War 1 display which can be found here: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/world-war-1-display-11652267
It is often difficult to see what you are getting when you purchase a resource, not in this case! The author has put the effort into the resources themselves, but also into the blurb which shows you that you are going to get great quality and value...which you do! Thoroughly recommend
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.