For any Y5 classes starting with the Mayans and trying to blend Literacy with Topic/IPC.
Hot off the CPU is a week’s learning about setting description. Chn to analyse and discuss a range of excerpts and extract features, then look at wide, medium, close up description, then adapt an existing piece, then finally write their own! Watch out for Kinaesthetic activities! Embedded Youtube content (with obvious visible links in case your computers are locked down)! Quality extracts from exceptional authors! (Although I haven’t paid for them… Mrs. Moderator! Is that allowed?) Differentiation I leave up to you, but all this is inherently so well-modelled and scaffolded that all your kids (yes, even Kevin!) will be writing like a bossman.
- WALT Identify features of a setting description
- WALT Identify features of descriptive writing/Clauses
- WALT Use commas to add detail and clarify meaning
- WALT Adapt a setting description (Forest)
- WALT Write a setting description (Mayan forest pyramid scene)
Hope it’s useful! If it is, comment! Offer suggestions for next time! And spread the word! RESOURCEM is now a thing that exists! And free!
Good luck out there, people.