This is a great lesson that fits within the Constitution Unit. Students will learn about ratification of the Constitution and the development of Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist. This lesson will take between 2-3 days to complete. Activities included:
- Essential Questions
- Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist Introduction Activity- students are given two options of a variety of general questions. They choose either A or B. At the end if they mostly answered A’s then they are Federalist and mostly B’s then they tend to side with Anti-Federalist. It is an engaging way to introduce the unit.
- Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist Notes w/Graphic Organizer
- Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist Ted Talk Video
- T- Pair Defend Activity- students will use their debating skills to pretend to be either a Federalist or Anti-Federalist and debate their stance. There are speaking prompt to help them, but after they do it a few times then they are familiar enough that they can argue in their own words supporting a side. It is super to cool to watch the students.
- Who Said That??? Activity - students are given a sign and there are different statements that are read. They must decide whether it is a Federalist or Anti-Federalist statement and hold up the sign for which side it is. Another way to check for mastery.
- Federalist vs. Anti-Federalist Reflective Essay