The GOALS of this lesson and activity unit are: to recognize and write character well in a full scene, BUT ALSO to ultimately apply the knowledge of character in an analytical essay.
80 pages, a 3 PART, 7-week Master Course is that it is based on the premise that through the INTEGRATION of FICTION AND NONFICTION, writers of all stripes ultimately are stronger in BOTH.
Thoughtful, organized and complete, it begins with a glossary of terms, and then tackles essential writing information and application, through the lens of the first element of story, characterization. The information and activities prepare students for their final major writing projects: writing a character scene; and writing an analytical essay.
With lesson plans, common core standards, rubrics, assessments, and keys, all carefully organized. The work is CHALLENGING and FUN!
• FULLY COMPLETE. JUST ADD YOU AND YOUR STUDENTS!!!
• Informational Handouts and Tip Sheets for Students to refer to
as they work through this increasingly more complex plan.
• Glossary of terms (in-depth, to be used for years to come!)
• THREE assessments with multiple key options.
• NINE Activities in increasing level of difficulty, with answer
keys. (Recognition, differentiation, explanation, and proving one’s point with evidence; NINETEEN activities in all!)
• The topics covered include: Make Your Verbs Sweat! Dump Those Adverbs! Show Don’t Tell, Direct Versus Indirect Characterization - Is One Really Better Than the Other? Stock Characters: Defy the Mold!, Indirect Writing Activity! Analytical Essay Prewrites, Post Activities, and MORE!
• Creative writing activities directly related to characterization.
• TWO MAJOR CULMINATING WRITING PROJECTS. Fiction:
Character in a Scene. An Analytical Essay: Determine the effectiveness of the characterization in a Story by Kate Chopin (provided).
• Overview on how to Workshop
• 3 Lesson Plans, (one for each section of this Master Course)
• CCSS for every activity,
• ALL organized FOR YOU in a neat package. Simply Teach Away by using our lesson plans, CCSS and our lovely Table of Contents!
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
Help the characters in your class develop truly good characters in their writing using this quality resource! There are 8 high-quality character writing activities in this Common Core-aligned analytical writing unit.
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.