I created a scheme of work that you could use to teach low ability or attainment target students of Grade 4-5.
There are 30 lessons in total:
- 1 lesson on the context of Shakespeare and the Globe theatre
- 25 lessons on the plot, characters and extracts of the play
- 3 lessons on the recurring themes of love, conflict and fate
- 1 lesson on debate as to who is to blame for the death of Romeo and Juliet
- An assessment task (which I have purposefully left open to your own interpretation but you can follow my guide)
This also includes:
- Storyboard of each Act with scenes template
- Themes quote bank board for students to fill
- Character profiles for students’ revision to fill
There are also bonus revising of quotes games of Articulate and Connect Four.
You do not need to read the play. Only the extracts provided and mentioned in the lessons! This will hugely break down the students’ understanding of the play and help them focus on characters, themes, quotes, plot and language.