To give students an historical view of the food pyramid and it's effect on the eating habits of Americans at home and at school
1. Students will study the history of the food pyramid and how it has changed.
2. Students will investigate how the food pyramid is used to promote good nutrition in school lunches and meals at home and elsewhere and how food is part of culture.
3. Students will create their own "healthy food" posters based on eating foods from outdoor markets, fast food, food trucks, restaurants, taco stands, vending machines, bakeries, vegan eateries, etc.
4. Students will contribute to a healthy snack food pyramid for their classroom.
5. Students will compare and contrast the traditional food pyramid with the recent "my plate."
6. Students will create a food pyramid for fictitious and real foods featured in a popular movie.
7. Students will create a new concept for a food chart and create a graphic of it as an ad promoting their new and improved food chart with a catchy name, 21st century "app" logo, with hypothetical nutritional information for each for food item, as well as recipes and suggestions for complimentary foods.