This is a ready-to-teach handout for a lesson or unit based on “The Poplar-Field”, William Cowper’s iconic poem. The poem is also on the IGCSE English Literature curriculum for exams in 2020 and 2021.
The handout includes:
- Biography and introduction to the poet - William Cowper
- Before you read activities / lesson starters to introduce the poem and key concepts relevant to analysing and understanding the poem in more detail. (Ideal as lesson starters and for a more in-depth, critical approach.)
- The poem text with , line numbers to facilitate a close-reading, and a glossary of unusual or difficult vocabulary and concepts. Illustrations and images further help clarify the use of words and phrases in the specific context of the poem.
- Comprehension, close reading and analysis questions, with a particular focus on analysing the poem’s use of figurative language.
- Additional essay questions and writing tasks to facilitate exam preparation.
- Teacher’s Notes, including an analysis and commentary of the poem, to help be used as a teacher’s guide or to be used to aid students in their revision for the exam.
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!