A 24-page detailed and interactive character revision resource for Macbeth covering key characters in depth and twenty-two characters in total. This booklet is designed to give students the thorough and complex knowledge required by the new GCSE. The character profiles for major characters contain:
- Key Facts, covering their role and relationships in the play
- Character Function & Development, focusing in detail on how each character functions at a symbolic level, linking to relevant context, and how they develop over the course of the play
- Key Quotations section, including space for students to do their own analysis of each quotation
- Summary of themes linked with the character
Key summaries are also provided for minor characters, e.g. Lennox, Angus and Ross . Although the focus is on character, the resource also provides much detail on key events, themes and context.
At the end of each section there is a space for students to make their own revision notes.
At the end of the resource, there is a character development activity focused on how key characters evolve over the course of the play - the first of these is completed as an example and students should complete the others themselves when they have completed their character revision from the booklet.
I have used this resource to:
- Provide staggered revision homework and followed up with tests on each character
- As a support resource for essay-writing
- As a way to introduce characters or explore them in more depth as a class.
- As a research resource for jigsaw learning activities, dividing the class into groups and assigning a major character to each group.
- To help students understand how to think about character function and development.
Differentiation can be done in a number of ways - through the character assigned to a student, the sections they are asked to work on, and the number and length of quotations they are expected to revise. This is a particularly useful resource for a high-ability group with high target grades. It gives them the level of detail and breadth of knowledge that will allow their essays to stand out, and is designed to get them thinking at a functional and symbolic level considering the whole of the play.
Any questions, please ask.