Check out my website for free biology classes to help with students cope with school closures www.biologywitholivia.co.uk/
Even students who can recite the specification backwards tend to drop lots of marks on exam questions relating to practical activities, since they find that the style of question isn’t ‘revisable’.
However, overall, at least 15% of the marks for an A-level Biology qualification will require the assessment of practical skills (AQA A Level Biology Specification 7401/7402).
So, using this workbook to get to grips with this difficult style of question can considerably improve a students grade, and typically be the difference between getting an A* instead of an A, or an A instead of a B.
This required practical exam questions workbook was made by and first tested by a student who got an A* in 2017.
It contains 64 pages of exam questions and mark schemes.
These are arranged into 6 sections, covering each of the 6 required practicals for AQA AS biology (A level year 1).
As well as AQA of course, exam questions have been collated from exam boards including OCR, Edexcel and WJEC, where there are some overlapping practicals.
Therefore, this workbook would also be useful for other exam boards.
1. Investigation into the effect of a named variable on the rate of an enzyme-controlled reaction
2. Preparation of stained squashes of cells from plant root tips; set- up and use of an optical microscope to identify the stages of mitosis in these stained squashes and calculation of a mitotic index
3. Production of a dilution series of a solute to produce a calibration curve with which to identify the water potential of plant tissue
4. Investigation into the effect of a named variable on the permeability of cell-surface membranes
5. Dissection of animal or plant gas exchange system or mass transport system or of organ within such a system
6. Use of aseptic techniques to investigate the effect of antimicrobial substances on microbial growth
There are also 6 required practicals for A level biology year 2 (A2), which are covered in a separate workbook: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/new-spec-required-practical-exam-questions-workbook-a-level-biology-year-2-a2-11658091
For other A Level Biology resources please do have a look in my shop: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/alevelbioboss
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
Very useful resource to test knowledge on the required practicals and for exam technique :)
Brilliant practical exam question workbook that I feel will really enhance students exam technique, something proving challenging currently. Great value as part of the bundle.
Excellent resource. Thank you :)
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.