A ready to use lesson plan that presents teaching and learning resources on persuasive writing.
After completing this lesson, the students will be able to:
- Gain knowledge of the persuasive techniques.
- Apply authorial technique of persuasion to present arguments in speaking and writing.
- Analyse author’s use of persuasive language and its impact in writing.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of persuasion in writing.
This download includes:
- Vocabulary Overview - Persuasive, Persuasion, Persuade
- Real Life Application and Cross-Curriculum Links - Science, Math, Social Studies
- Flipped Lesson Part - Videos
- Success Criteria - Persuasive Writing Checklist
- Lesson Starter: Matching persuasive techniques with their meanings.
- Discussion: Structure of Persuasive Paragraph
- Pair-Share: Using persuasive techniques to convince customers.
- Think-Write: Identifying persuasive techniques used in a persuasive paragraph.
- Write-Share: Choosing a topic to write a persuasive paragraph.
Mini-Plenary: 5 Online Quizzes
Differentiated Tasks: Demonstrating the skill of persuasion in writing.
Extensions: Using persuasion map to map arguments for persuasive write up.
Plenary: Answering multiple choice questions on persuasive writing.
- Identifying the elements and indicators of a persuasive paragraph.
- Selecting a topic sentence that best introduces the paragraph.
- Reading a persuasive paragraph to answer the given questions.
- Thinking of creative titles for the given short persuasive paragraphs.
Common Core Standards: ELA-Literacy-Writing - 6-8.1a-e
Skills: Social and Cognitive
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment