A 32-page character revision resource for Romeo and Juliet covering twenty characters in depth. This booklet is designed to give students the thorough and highly detailed knowledge required by the new GCSE. The character profiles for major characters contain:
- Key Facts
- Character Function & Development (focusing in detail on how each character functions at a symbolic level and how they develop over the course of the play)
- Key plot points in the play
- Key Quotations
- Summary of themes linked with the character
Key summaries are also provided for minor characters, e.g. Peter, Potpan, Abram and Balthasar, the Chorus. Although the focus is on character, the resource also provides much detail on key events and themes, motifs and context. In addition, at the end of the resource, there is a summary section of character development over the course of the play - half of these are completed as examples and students can complete the second half themselves.
I have used this resource to:
- Provide staggered revision homework and followed up with tests on each character
- As a support resource for essay-writing
- As a way to introduce characters or explore them in more depth as a class.
- As a research resource for jigsaw learning activities, dividing the class into groups and assigning a major character to each group.
- To help students understand how to think about character function and development.
Differentiation can be done in a number of ways - through the character assigned to a student, the sections they are asked to work on, and the number and length of quotations they are expected to revise. This is a particularly useful resource for a high-ability group with high target grades. It gives them the level of detail and breadth of knowledge that will allow their essays to stand out, and is designed to get them thinking at a functional and symbolic level considering the whole of the play.
Any questions, please ask.