Two units about Ecuador. Please click on Preview above to read both units.
Unit 1. El colegio
This is a very popular unit because many schools include school life in their curriculum. Discover the similarities and differences between your school and schools in Ecuador. Review and extend school vocabulary (classroom, courses, after school programs). Have the students discover how the same building houses two schools, one in the morning, the second in the afternoon.
Unit 2. El mercado de Otavalo
Indoor and outdoor markets. What do they sell? Do you or don't you bargain? And if you do, are there rules to follow so you are always respectful of other cultures? Here is a guide to bargaining, how, when and how much.
The units include:
1. Subject matter: school; market
2. Vocabulary: school; market
3. Grammar: ordinal numbers; ser / estar
4. Oral practice: compare two schools; describe a photograph of the market
5. Homework: create a school pamphlet; create a school emblem; good manners
6. Internet: key words for more web searches on topic and related topics
7. Model tests
8. Teacher's guide
9. Answer key
If you have gone to the Otavalo market, please share in the comments section below. My personal experience was fun but I am not a great shopper so I prefered the Mitad del Mundo. It appealed to my imagination to stand with one foot in the northern hemisphere and the other foot in the southern hemisphere.