This set of lesson plans, resources, and activities is for use with “Stick and Stone” by Beth Ferry. It can be used for whole group, small group, and independent instruction – which makes these resources a smart choice for literacy centers or Reader’s Workshop.
Here’s What You’ll Get and Why:
My goal was to make it easy to teach readers how to think about “Stick and Stone” using a variety of comprehension strategies. That’s why I’ve included page by page lesson plans, guided practice worksheets, and text specific reader’s notebook prompts for the following strategies:
- Making Inferences
- Making Predictions
- Determining Importance
- Asking Questions
I also created an Extension Activity for early finishers.
Next, I find that vocabulary instruction works best when it’s done within the context of books that students are already reading. That’s why I’ve included the following vocabulary resources:
- Vocabulary Word List
- Flash Cards (match words to pictures and match words to definitions)
- Interactive Vocabulary Notebook Cards
- Vocabulary Word Games Printable
- Personal Vocabulary Word Bookmark
I’ve also included a word study lesson plan and set of activities, because, much like vocabulary, I find that word study works best within context. As a result, I have identified word patterns within trade books and have developed lesson plans and resources based on the word study that can be done with specific books. The lesson plan and set of resources for “Stick and Stone” focuses on -ck Digraphs and includes the following:
- Lesson Plan
- Interactive Activity
- Practice Page
- Independent Word Work
This set of resources also includes the following:
- Running Record Assessment
- Common Core Aligned Comprehension Assessment
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standard Alignment
- Spanish translation of the comprehension strategy practice pages, reader’s notebook prompts (complete with Spanish Common Core “I Can” statements), and extension activities for use with “Stick and Stone”
- BONUS: Surprise Sample Resource
I hope that you will enjoy using my resources along with your copy or copies of “Stick and Stone” by Beth Ferry.
If you have any questions about the resources included in this set please email me at AmyMackenzie@BookPagez.com. It will be my pleasure to reply and help you in any way I can.