In this resource you will find, 4 detailed lessons on Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven.
This includes lesson on:
- Prediction using posters/fan art of the poem and exploring colour symbolism, themes, characters and narrative.
- Understanding narrative including a keyword mix and match, poem overview, reading of the poem (youtube links not owned by me!), comprehension and analysis questions, a narrative plotting task for each stanza using high level vocabulary and transformation task which requires students to turn the opening of the poem into a description.
- Analysis of the poem and key stanza including stanza 1, 2, 4, 7 13 and 18 - complete with detailed teacher notes and copies of analysis questions for student task.
- Exploration of symbolism generally and within the poem including symbolism of ravens in detail and analysis task of symbols used within the poem.
- Lessons conclude with several GCSE style poetry/literature questions which could be set as homework or used in the lessons - these are not scaffolded but simply an addition to the resource.
This resource also includes an A3 worksheet for the poetry stanza by stanza task and a copy of the poem itself.