The “What Will My Car Cost?” project allows students to build skills in Internet research and critical thinking as they research costs for a car and then compute and compare payment options using Microsoft Excel. First, students research the cost for two car options (one used and one new) and then compare financing and payment options for these using formulas in Microsoft Excel. The step-by-step directions were created for Microsoft Excel 2016, but could easily be used with earlier versions of the software. Editable templates and samples are provided for both Microsoft Excel 2016 and earlier versions (2007-2013). The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be adapted for high school students.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher Notes and Resources
• Student Project Overview, Expectations & Rubric - Research & Excel Project
• Student Step-by-Step Guide - Excel Project
• MS Excel Template “What Will My Car Cost” Project for use in differentiation (Two Editable Microsoft Excel files with formulas – one for version 2016; one for earlier versions 2007-2013)
• Sample “What Will My Car Cost?” Project (Two Editable Microsoft Excel files with formulas – one for version 2016; one for earlier versions 2007-2013)