Getting started as an Author on TES
Author advice: From creating an account to publishing a resource
Welcome to TES Resources. We’re delighted you’ve decided to join our supportive community of authors, who publish quality teaching content to over seven million members across the world.
To help you get started, here is a step-by-step guide to getting set up on TES and publishing your resources:
- Create an account – You need to register with TES in order to publish resources but don't worry, it’s quick, easy and free. As part of the process, you will be asked to create a username, which will be visible alongside the resources you upload.
- Introduce yourself – Click your avatar or username in the top right to view the menu and edit your profile. Add a picture, talk about your teaching background and experience, describe your passion for resources; all this interesting information helps teachers to appreciate the person behind the resources, and promotes your expertise. Please do remember your profile is visible online, so don’t include details you aren’t happy to share publicly.
- Publishing your first resource – It’s time to start uploading! Simply choose Add new resource under your avatar in the top right. Select and label your files as appropriate, provide a detailed title and description, then we ask you to tag your resources to the relevant age-category, subject and topics. Find more info on the full process here. Top tip: Including keywords as part of your description will help your resource perform well in search. Teachers search TES using a wide variety of terms so the more detail you provide, the more likely they are to find your resource when looking for something similar.
Please remember, as per the terms and conditions, you should only share or sell resources you have made yourself, or which contain content that you have permission to use.
- Add to your library – The more resources you publish, the more features you will unlock. By adding more premium resources, you can become a bronze, silver or gold author to increase the royalties you earn and get more out of TES. For more details on the benefits, visit the TES Author royalty levels, or contact the team.
- Create your shop – Once you have published 10 premium resources, you become a bronze author and can set up your own “shopfront” page. This space allows you to develop your brand with options to add a cover image and links to social media accounts. You can also choose three featured resources to highlight, which you can change as often as you like. Check out our essential FAQ’s for more information on setting up your shop.
Take a look at our author blog, where you can find tips, guidance and author features. Plus, read about the practicalities of being an author and stay tuned for more advice including seasonal insights, how to promote your resources and ideas to boost sales.
If you have any questions or queries, contact our dedicated TES Author team.