This career unit gives students an introduction to the government and public administration career cluster and what a career in this field would be like. This is perfect for a career, technology, CTE or business class.
The included PowerPoint presentation can be used by the teacher for whole class instruction, or provided to the students electronically (or as a printout) for them to review individually. Students use close reading skills with a short informational passage to learn about the career field and answer questions to use critical thinking skills and demonstrate their understanding. Two different puzzles are included to learn different jobs in the career and to reinforce vocabulary skills. A technology based project (using MS Word or MS Publisher) to research information about a related topic is included to allow students to use critical thinking and creativity to further explore the career field. Additionally, a group current event project that can be completed without student computer access (by the teacher printing out the articles from the linked information) or providing access to a computer for each group to research is provided to allow students to utilize critical thinking skills and teamwork. Finally, a short reflection questionnaire gives students the opportunity to reflect and analyze their learning as they determine if this career field is of interest to them.
The project was created for grades 7-8 but could easily be used with high school students. The teacher can choose to use some or all of the provided lesson options included in this resource.
Files Included with this Lesson
• Teacher & Student Notes and Resources
• Introduction to Government and Public Administration Careers PowerPoint presentation (editable)
• Introduction to Government and Public Administration Careers Research Reading and Questions
• Vocabulary Crossword Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Job Type Word Search Puzzle (includes answer key)
• Technology based Creative Application Project Brochure Instructions and Rubric
• Sample Brochure (not on one of the topics, but included to show layout only – not editable)
• Team Brainstorming Worksheet
• Government and Public Administration Current Event Group Lesson Instructions, Rsources, and Rubric
• Government and Public Administration Career Reflection Questions (MS Word)