I originally designed this revision pack for the Edexcel GCSE Resistant Materials specification although the content is transferrable across all boards internationally!
I have used this resource pack for an 'Outstanding' lesson observation and my pupils have really enjoyed them.
1) To know the key characteristics of one-off, batch and mass scales of production.
2) To know advantages and disadvantages of each scale of production.
3) To identify which scale of production is suitable for manufacturing a product.
- Learning objectives and key words.
- Introduction to scales of production (one-off, batch, mass)
- Link to Henry Ford video on Youtube.
- Rules for practical production line simulation activity.
- Questions related to simulation activity.
3 interactive revision games/activities - great printed and laminated for a marketplace style lesson!
- 'What am I?' card game.
- 'Teach, Test, Trade': versatile fact sheets for one-off, batch and mass scales of production.
- 'One-off, batch or mass?' card sort: sort everyday products into correct scales of production.
PRACTICAL SIMULATION ACTIVITY:
(with printable materials and step-by-step illustrated instructions)
Easy and effective continuous production line activity recommended for teams of 8 (easily adapted for more or less) to learn about the effectiveness and socio-economic impact of the continuous flow production line. Learners work at differentiated stations to create a 'reveal wheel' revision aid. Questions related to this activity are included in the 'Scales of Production Presentation' lesson ppt.
Equipment required: Printer/copier, A4 card, scissors, craft knives, cutting mats, sharp pen/bradawl and plasticine for hole punching, split paper fasteners or M4 nuts and bolts (washers optional).
Single-sided A3 revision worksheet for learners to fill in after each activity/game.
- 3 differentiated versions included.
- Further adaptations can be made within the 'easy-to-edit' file.
- Full complete answer sheet on a ppt slide ready to share with your class on the board or digitally (with e.g. Google Classroom).
- 40 mark question paper based on past Edexcel exam questions and directly related to the revision activities and worksheet.
- Full and clear mark scheme for self/peer marking.
"I really enjoyed clocking onto my production line shift, my team made loads of units!" Ben (15)
"We made our own revision aid and learned loads about production lines too - we had an interesting debate about working conditions and fairness in pay" Samantha (15)